Healthy eating key to boosting defenses
To strengthen the immune system and raise the body’s defenses to prevent the development of some diseases and help the body react to those that have already manifested, it is important to increase the consumption of foods rich in vitamins and minerals, decrease the consumption of sugars and industrialized foods that have dyes and preservatives, and may be indicated the intake of drugs or supplements that help increase immunity.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is also one of the best strategies to keep the body’s natural defense system strong and efficient, so it is recommended:
Do not smoke
Eating healthy food
Practicing regular mild to moderate intensity physical activity
Maintain proper weight
Sleep 7 to 8 hours per night
Avoiding stress and excessive alcohol consumption
Exposure to the sun daily, preferably until 10 am and after 4 pm, without sunscreen, to increase the body’s production of vitamin D
These habits must be maintained for life, not only in the moments when the person is sick or is weaker because otherwise they will have no effect.
- Foods to boost defences Nutrition plays an important role in the functioning of the immune system. Foods rich in omega-3, selenium, zinc, probiotics, vitamins A, C and E are the most suitable for boosting the immune system, because they encourage the production of the body’s defence cells more efficiently. Some examples are:
- Omega-3: Chia seeds, nuts and flaxseed;
- Selenium: Brazil nut, wheat, rice, sunflower seeds, shaping bread, cheese, cabbage, wheat flour.
- Zinc: Wheat germ, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, nuts (peanuts, almonds, brazil nuts).
- Vitamin C: Orange, tangerine, pineapple, lemon, strawberries, papaya, melon, mango, kiwi, broccoli, tomato, watermelon, cabbage, potato with skin.
- Vitamin E: Sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios, mango, olive oil, tomato paste, sunflower oil, nuts, papaya.
- Vitamin A: Carrot, sweet potato, mango, spinach, melon, beet, chard, red pepper, broccoli, lettuce, egg.
- Probiotics: Natural yoghurt, fermented milk such as kefir or yakult, to maintain intestinal health. See all the benefits of taking probiotics.
- Water: The body needs to be hydrated during the day to function properly, minimum 2 liters of water per day.
- Vitamin E: Dried fruits, sunflower seeds, almonds, chard, spinach, broccoli, papaya, avocado, olives, wheat germ, soy.Source: https://mejorconsalud.com/9-alimentos-elevar-las-defensas/